19 February 2012

Avocado, Goat Cheese and Tomato Muffins

My sweet tooth is shrinking.

I can feel it.

I've made two batches of brownies in the past six weeks and could barely get through one piece...in total.

I've migrated away from muffins, fruit and/or honey-sweetened granola. I don't really want a sweet in the evening.

That said, I still want to bake--I turn out the occasional cake, but I'd rather try my hand at BBA.

The other week, when I made my Curried Roasted Squash Soup, I wanted something to go with it. I didn't want a slice of multigrain bread, nor did I want crackers.

I played with my Guacamole Muffin recipe and came up with this. It's quick, and easy and a tasty combination of moist, savoury and a bit of sweet (from the tomatoes). And yes...it's a lovely breakfast.


Avocado, Goat Cheese and Tomato Muffins
Yield 12

Ingredients
245g (435ml/1.75c) all purpose flour
2dspn (20ml/4tsp) baking powder
1dspn (10ml/2tsp) sugar
0.5tsp (2.5ml) dried oregano
0.25tsp (1.25ml) garlic powder
0.25tsp (1.25ml) onion powder
0.25tsp (1.25ml) salt
0.25ml (1.25ml) black pepper
1 egg, lightly beaten
165ml (0.66c) milk
45ml (3Tbsp) olive oil
110g (250ml/1c) roasted tomatoes
100g (3.5oz) soft goat cheese, broken into half-teaspoon-sized pieces
1 avocado's flesh, chopped

Method
Preheat oven to 190C (375F) and line a 12-bun muffin tin with papers.

Sift together all the dry ingredients, including herbs, spices and sugar. Set aside.

Beat together the egg, milk and oil. Add in the in the tomatoes, cheese and avocado, but do not stir.

Lightly fold in the egg mixture into the dry, without breaking up the avocado and cheese. The batter should just barely come together. It will look lumpy and there may be dry spots.

Divide the batter between the 12 papers--you will probably be filling each bun to the top.

Bake for 25-35 minutes or until done. An inserted skewer will come out with a few crumbs and the tops will be golden and firm.

Notes:
- If you don't have roasted tomatoes, you can use the same volume (one cup) of chopped sundried tomatoes.

cheers!
jasmine
I'm a quill for hire!

5 comments:

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Different with the goat cheese, that must be delish.

MargaretJ said...

Amazing. Can't wait to try these for breakfast this weekend. Always look forward to your new entries.

food lover said...

I have to say i am very jealous of how you can think up of these things.. a savoury muffin whislt keeping some sweetness in their.. sounds incredible. I think goats cheese is the perfect choice... you dont want something that is too over powering like blue cheese and you dont want something that has has your everyday cheese texture like cheddar. Keep the great recipes coming!!

legourmand said...

These turned out INCREDIBLE! I made them for a brunch-y sort of baby shower, and they were such a hit that I made them again the following day for (sad) a funeral, using jarred sun-drieds packed in oil both times. The second time I made them I substituted 2 teaspoons of Berbere, a North-African spice mix I get from this absolutely amazing spice shop here in Seattle. (http://www.worldspice.com/blends/berbere) It was perfect- slightly spicy, paprika sweet, and beautifully aromatic. Real breakfast perfection!

Mikaela Cowles said...

These look fantastic. There's something amazing about savory baking. Perhaps it's because I can eat it at any point in the day and not feel guilty? Who knows. Regardless, wonderful muffins. Thanks!